The End of an Era (Both Road Trip & Texan Living) – June 2007
Well, 13,500 miles and seven weeks later and I can happily say I have now visited all the states in the US of A, plus three Canadian ones too. I ended up back in Rockwall, Texas for a quick visit to my old house, a goodbye to the yacht club which serves bacon to vegetarians, and a sad farewell to lots of friends before heading down to Houston, Texas where I said a temporary au revoir to my car.
During the 13,500 miles, I grew very attached to me little convertible and was particularly impressed at how it withstood driving up mountains, across boulders, thru' blizzards and protected me from bears, and so I decided it deserved to accompany me to Australia for some more fun road trips down under.
I can certainly say that US Road Trip 2007 was definitely the best holiday of my life and so here are a few highlights:
1. Five Favourite US States
2. Best Day Driving
Through the Canadian Rocky Mountains : 90 F and lots of snow and mountains = fantastic!
3. Favourite City
San Diego, CA
4. Best Road Trip Partner
I daren’t answer that one.
5. Scariest Moment
Driving 1,000 feet up the side of a Montana mountain at midnight before realising I had just created my own road.
6. Funniest Moments
- Celebrating my 35th b’day in West Virginia with M.
- Breaking down with a flat tyre in Rhode Island with R.
- Driving thru’ Vermont in the middle of the night with R.
- Arriving at J’s after getting stuck up the side of a Montana mountain.
- Being stuck in a coach full of animal-crazed Americans driving around Denali National Park with D.
- Wading through snow at Crater Lake, Oregon with J.
- Various San Diego amusing times with J.